Annual report pursuant to Section 13 and 15(d)

Equity Investment

Equity Investment
12 Months Ended
Dec. 31, 2013
Equity Method Investments and Joint Ventures [Abstract]  
Equity investment
Equity Investment
Following its earn-in to the Bootheel Project in 2009, Crosshair Energy Corporation, now Jet Metals Corp (“Jet Metals”), was required to fund 75% of the Project’s expenditures and the Company the remaining 25%. The Project has been accounted for using the equity accounting method with the Company’s proportionate share of the Project’s loss included in the Consolidated Statement of Operations since the date of earn-in and the Company’s net investment is reflected on the Consolidated Balance Sheet. Under the terms of the agreement, the Company elected not to participate financially for the Bootheel Project’s financial year ended March 31, 2012 which reduced the Company’s ownership percentage to 19.1%. The equity accounting method has been continued because of the Company’s ability to directly influence the budget process and therefore the operations of the Project. The Company resumed participation financially for the year ended March 31, 2013.
In February 2013, a mineral lease at the Bootheel property expired and was not renewed.  The Company had no cost base in the lease and is therefore not reflecting a loss on the non-renewal. As a result of the expiration, a portion of the mineral resources which were previously reported by an NI 43-101 Technical Report by Jet Metals is no longer controlled by the venture.  At the June 2013 venture management meeting, it was decided that the expired private lease will not be further pursued. It was also decided that a portion of the remaining claims held on the Bootheel property, which had been determined to not contain economic mineralization, would be abandoned. Additionally, it was decided that all of the mining claims at the Buck Point property, none of which contain economic mineralization, will be abandoned.  Mining claims at the Bootheel property on which mineral resources were reported will be maintained.  As a result of these actions, the Company has written off the cost ($969) of the Buck Point property originally contributed to the venture.  The remaining state leases and claims are being held by the venture.
At December 31, 2013, the Company performed an impairment test on the remaining Bootheel property and determined that the carrying cost was greater than the enterprise value of the underlying stated mineral resources. As a result, the Company recognized a $37 write down of its investment.